Tuesday, October 12, 2021

The Night I Brought in My Snow Boots

 


An alternate title:  There’s a Reason for Everything, Including Decaffeinated Coffee

I have long said that the only time I feel at home is when I shut the door on the Beagle; it doesn’t matter where she is parked.  But there are some places that are great to come back to, and, for me, Colorado is one of them.   After five days of pulling Beagle over unfamiliar roads to unfamiliar places (all part of the plan) I drew great comfort when I saw the “Welcome to Colorful Colorado” sign.  It’s nice to know where you are.

Turns out I am here two days early:  I did, in fact, tow Beagle up to Fish Lake, Utah, where we drove up a pitted dirt road in the “rv park” to a surprisingly delightful pitch up on a hill overlooking the lake.  (The Fish Lake Lodge RV Park is not my idea of an RV park; I don’t stay at them often, but when I do it’s because I need a long, hot shower and to do some laundry.  This place had no showers and the laundry room was a quarter of a mile away from my pitch.)  But a lovely view:

 


With rain due the next day, I didn’t want to waste any of the wonderful sunshine unhitching Beagle, rather, I hitched up the noses and we went for a walk.  After returning River to the car, Opus and I set out along the Lakeshore Path, much in need of some strenuous exercise. 

It was a gorgeous trail (pictured above) and flat; I couldn’t figure out why I was breathless.  We pressed on at a good 3+ MPH pace, clocking 5.5 miles total.  Midway through we stumbled upon a creek filled with one of nature’s most amazing wonders; migrating salmon.

 


I sat by the creek for a few minutes watching them in their quest.  I felt a keen fellowship with these beings who follow their intuition to get somewhere no matter the effort.

Back at Beagle I was not feeling well.  My head was pounding and I was becoming nauseous.  I tried to make myself eat and drink but it was difficult.  After doing some meditation, I fired up Garmin to see what altitude we were at and was surprised to see it was 9,000’.  Which explains my symptoms; I can hike above 10,000’ but need to come back down to at least 7,000’ for sleeping purposes.  Tried and tested in Machu Picchu and on Kilimanjaro, I did not need to repeat either of those experiences in Utah, particularly with no cell service.

So, despite it being 4:00 PM, I put the noses in the car (see?  Good thing I didn’t bother to unhitch earlier) and we headed back to Richfield, back to the KOA—a real RV park with long, hot showers, a 24-hour laundry room, and good cell service.  I needed to develop a Plan B.

I felt immediately better when I dropped down to Richfield which sits at 5,300’; my pull-through site needed no adjustments side to side or front to back, so I quickly walked the noses, threw in a load of laundry and headed to the wonderful showers.  (I do shower every day in Beagle, but nothing compares to endless amounts of hot water pouring down upon your head—a Beagle shower is military style; get in, get wet, turn water off, soap up, rinse off, get out, dry your goosebumps.)

After getting all clean and toasty, I set about making my Plan B; I was supposed to ride out the snow storm at Fish Lake and just because I wasn't there didn't mean the storm wasn't coming.  I certainly wasn’t going to stay another night at the KOA.   I decided to head toward Denver and spend my extra days in Colorado; a place I know and love. 

So here you find me tonight at the James Robb Island Acres State Park for two nights.  It should rain here tomorrow and snow up higher, so we’ll just hunker down and see what happens.  I do not want to traverse any of the passes in the snow, that’s for sure.  I love the Colorado storms (and miss this kind of weather more than I thought) and know how quickly they can come and go.

It’s a lovely campground, right along the Colorado River.  I remember passing it when heading out with Alan in Salt and thinking it would be a great place to stop.  And here I am. 


***

It is now Tuesday morning and other than River hopping out for a quick pee, we three are sequestered inside (Opus can hold it forever.)  The rain is pouring down and the wind whipping around.  While parking Beagle yesterday, I made note of the branches and, thankfully, parked her in the open—no need to have a branch blow down on my solar panels, I thought.

New to the food options in this Beagle trip is the addition of decaffeinated coffee; I love coffee but can only have two “real” cups a day and clearly this day is going to require more like four.  Or six.

You know me, I believe everything happens for a reason; the trick is pausing long enough to listen to your intuition; and then, like the salmon, having the drive to experience your unique path in life.

-K

PS:  Really glad we are not on the road as a gust of wind just blew so hard Wurzig’s lights came on. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

A Speck on a Dot on a Marble in the Sky

  To J. Garmin: May your adventures in retirement be as vast and magnificent as your dedication to healing; safe travels, my friend. Greetin...