Saturday, October 2, 2021

Testing the Systems


 


Greetings from Lee Vining, California, where I am enjoying a night at my favorite RV park, the Mono VistaThe sun is setting around the yellowing Aspen trees and a cool breeze is blowing through Beagle as we cool down from a delightful high of 72 degrees.  This is the time of year for the Eastern Sierra’s—but we knew that already.

I set off six days ago, anxious to test out Beagle’s new lithium batteries, expertly installed by Casey and his crew at The Car Stereo Guys in Goleta.  My first three nights were at Shaver Lake, Dorabelle Campground (pictured above); a place Alan and I had stayed at a decade ago.  A lot has changed; there are two new loops with well-spaced asphalt pitches but the lake itself is extremely low.  Opus and I did a few hikes to check out the surrounding areas:  The creek in the Dinkey Creek hike was almost dry and the most interesting looking trails around Huntington Lake were closed due to last year’s fire—too many falling trees.  So not a great hiking experience but a good time to adjust to living at altitude and a great test of the batteries:  Three days with very little solar and I still had 65%. Sixty-five percent on AGM's and you begin to panic but 65% on lithium means you could last another four days.

Realizing that my birthday coincided with the last day you can drive through Yosemite, I cut my stay at Shaver short by a night, hitched up and meandered my way across the Sierras.  It was a delightful drive, not very busy, but overall, I have to say, I prefer Sonora Pass—the beauty there is more to my taste, more open, fewer people, more places to stop and be alone by a river or enjoy a stunning view. 

Once in Lee Vining, I wasted no time in getting out to my favorite hike in the area:  Saddlebag Lake to Gemstone and beyond.  Alas, there was no “beyond” on this trip as the only system I wanted to test was Beagle’s.  But Opus and I did six miles (round trip but at 10,000’) to Gemstone with no problem and one of us learned a lot along the way.

There are certain areas where I’ll allow Opus off leash.  My criteria in the backcountry is that I have to be able to see him, even if he runs 100 yards away.  This particular hike fits the bill perfectly and, as you can see from the picture below, he loved being free.


When planning off-leash time, I bring special treats to help convince him to return.
  That day he knew I had ham and would quickly return to my side when I called.  Ever the hunter, eventually he took off after a chipmunk, racing up the hillside as fast as he could, at which point I pulled out the ham, called him, and he promptly returned.  Good dog.

Then he walked along beside me for a while.

He took off again, faster this time, jetted as fast as he could up the hillside and to the top of a boulder.  I looked up to see what he was chasing but he was just standing, staring down at me.   I pulled out the ham, called him, and he promptly returned.  Good dog.

He walked along with me for another quarter of a mile.

Then boom!  He took off as fast as he could again.  He stopped about fifty yards away and looked back at me.  He had learned that the faster he runs away from me the faster the ham comes out.  Smart dog.

After that, I would occasionally give him bits as he walked next to me.  Easily trained human.

Opus and I are setting off for another hike tomorrow and then Monday we will leave for Convict Lake, another favorite stop, for three nights.  After that, the plan is to head to Colorado!  It’s time for some new scenery.

And River is with us!  She is such a great car dog; usually spending car time sleeping in her bed in the back seat.  But often on this trip I have looked back to see her sitting up gazing out the window.  I wonder if she is thinking back to racing after Ibex in the French Alps or peeing on a castle in Scotland, or, if she has grown as much as me, just appreciating the current moment.  The freedom.  Enjoying this beautiful planet.  She enjoys short walks in the morning and evening and in-between sleeps soundly in the car while we hike.  One day I let them both off leash near a lake and she did her patented circles until her back legs gave out.  This sounds sad, but it was joyful and she jumped right back up.

The batteries are delightful—they last forever and have brought me peace of mind particularly when heading into these cold nights.  I am happy to report that all the systems are working perfectly.  Including mine.

-K

No comments:

Post a Comment

A Speck on a Dot on a Marble in the Sky

  To J. Garmin: May your adventures in retirement be as vast and magnificent as your dedication to healing; safe travels, my friend. Greetin...