Wednesday, June 7, 2023

A Flower, a Meadow, a Mountain, a Marsh

 



By two o’clock the girl was free to go; the daily agreement with her Grandmother accomplished (one room of the cabin deep cleaned—often including waxing the linoleum—and lunch prepared for- and cleaned up after- her brother and Grandfather’s lunch break from cabin building) she had the afternoon to herself and, without fail, she raced to the beach where she and her friends played and swam endlessly, joyfully and without restraint.

Occasionally the Scientists would see fit to deliver a floating log to their giant sandbox on the shore.  A well-travelled log worn smooth by the ice-cold Shuswap Lake and its mile long journey to the very end.  The girl and her friends would take turns standing on the log, balancing as best they could on the wet, slick surface, counting out the seconds to see who would win.  Or they would clamber aboard like it was a pet horse and float wherever the log wanted to go—it being too heavy for them to maneuver with any reliability—until their toes were too cold to sit still.

*

Greetings Dear Reader from Stanley Lake, Idaho, one of my favorite places on this gorgeous planet:  Tucked away in the Sawtooth National Recreation Area and miles from the popular and over-run Redfish Lake, Stanley Lake contentedly rests below Mt. McGowan (9,860’) and disallows motorized boats so it remains quiet and peaceful, particularly mid-week.



Right now I am enjoying a cup of Chamomile tea (with spun honey), having just finished the world’s best Reuben sandwich:  The basic pastrami on rye with thousand island dressing but also topped with shredded purple cabbage lovingly pickled into a spicy and sweet slaw, a taste combination so divine nothing was lost when, five hours after my first half, I ate the second despite the fact that the bottom piece of rye had turned soggy and bright pink.  This delight came from the Stanley Baking & Company Cafe, whose cinnamon roll was dry and disappointing, but after two long day hikes, my body was craving some fat and carbohydrates.  I ate it all.

Yesterday’s hike, like today’s, was a repeat of a hike I did last year; the good news is that they both seemed much easier this year.  Except for yesterday’s exit.

On the way up to Lady Face Falls, I noticed a tantalizing path veering off to the left toward the inlet of the lake.  Like last year, I made a mental note of it in passing, and continued up the trail.  After four miles the snow forced us to turn back so, unlike last year, I had the energy on the way down to do a bit of exploring.  Time to take the Path Twice Noticed.

It was delightful back there:  Having come from a mile or so of wide-open meadows, the detour offered a nice gravel path meandering through small islands of 4' tall grasses.  Occasionally I could glimpse the river off to the right quietly flowing toward the lake.  After half a mile or so I pulled Opus off to the side and we ventured closer to the river:  Being Spring, it flowed quickly and soundlessly over the dark green reeds and submerged rocks and we sat down to watch the flash of dark shapes flitting from one side to the other.  It was the second time I wished I had my fishing pole.

Since we were clearly coming to the head of the lake, I assumed the nice gravel path would just take us around the shore and back to the campground; we continued until it abruptly ended in a flooded marshland.  Looking across the many fallen trees you could see the boat ramp, offering its welcome return to dry land, a mere thirty yards away.  Opus and I have crossed many a stream on logs so, stooping down quickly to release him from his leash (he crosses much better on his own), we barely broke stride as we each took a log to begin the crossing.

And here’s something obvious:  Just because a log is on top of the water does not mean it will stay on top of the water.

By the time I crossed to Log 2, I noticed that the logs had a lot more give to them than I was used to.  Pausing on Log 3 because I heard a splash slightly behind me, I realized that the logs were bobbing on the water.  Balancing on my log, which was just barely holding its own at the water’s surface, I looked back to see Opus in water up to his cheekbones.  And the look!  He is very expressive and this one did not say, “I love you and will follow you anywhere,” it was more like, “What the fuck?” and “I am never following you again.”

But as my log was sinking, I had no time to offer any aid.  I watched as he clawed himself back up onto the adjacent, half-submerged log, turned his back on me and began to shake. 

What to do?  I could back-track across the logs (maybe) and hike back around which would be another two miles or so added onto my already close to eight, or, and this seemed perfectly reasonable, I could take off my boots, hop into the water and wade to the boat ramp.

Balancing on my own half-submerged log, I proceeded to remove one boot and sock (all those dance lessons came in handy) and, while holding the first boot against a branch, remove the other boot and sock.  Tucking the socks inside, I tied the laces together and hung the boots around my neck. 

Now to get The Dog Who Isn’t Speaking.

I stepped off my log and into the water.  It was about mid-thigh and the coldest water I have ever felt—remember that snow I ran into above?  The cold was a blessing because, as my feet sank down into the silty, muddy, clinging bottom of this marshland, I began to wonder about snakes and glass and sticks and other things that might puncture my feet.  But no need to fear:  I had no feeling in them after the first three seconds.

I turned back to get Opus who, thankfully, sat still as I picked him up but who couldn’t pass up the opportunity to let out a little growl—or maybe it was just him getting his breath back.

Boots around my neck, a soaking-wet, shivering dog in my arms, and a backpack on my back, we set off across the marshy water to meet the boat ramp.  With each sinking step, the water became deeper and colder; when it reached my hips, the possibility of leeches entered my mind. 

But we made it!  Opus, whose legs had clearly had time to thaw, leaped from my arms as soon as the ramp was within three feet.  I felt like I was feeling gravity for the first time as I hauled my numb legs up and onto the ramp.  We sat there, thawing, in the warm afternoon sun, checking for leeches. 

*

The woman weighs more than the girl.

-K


No comments:

Post a Comment

A Speck on a Dot on a Marble in the Sky

  To J. Garmin: May your adventures in retirement be as vast and magnificent as your dedication to healing; safe travels, my friend. Greetin...