Tuesday, July 6, 2021

Two Cotton Socks

 


The last thing the nice host at Murdock Campground said to me as I was pulling away was, “Remember, this is Thursday before the long weekend, there is no time for shopping, if you find an open campsite just take it.”

And so I heeded his words, and my own promise to myself, and took the first one I found available, as you already know, at Alturas Lake.  Having been here for a few days and scoped out the other campgrounds, (around this lake and others), I can easily say the Kitness was alive and well; this is the perfect campground (North Shore) and the perfect pitch for me.  I have never driven into a more picturesque campground; it is charming with its Parisienne beige sand drive and open meadow flanked by tall pines with the lake just behind.  I loved it more every time I drove in.

With a glorious five nights in one spot, The Noses and I settled into a nice routine of a one-mile walk with River followed by a long hike with Opus (River remaining behind in Beagle which I was sure to park so that she had shade until noon), an afternoon of swimming, a few chores, reading, and other quiet past-times, all with one eye on the tanks as five nights without a dump run will be my record.

On Day Hike 1, Opus and I set off for Pettit Lake, aiming to do a circuit trail of about five miles which encompassed three different alpine lakes.  I had poured over my hiking map (much to my glee) and thought I knew just what I was doing.  However, when the trail sign pointed up toward “Yellow Belly Lake”, but not any of the other lakes within the circuit, I passed by the turn.  I mean, really, what hiker wants to go up a trail that says, “Yellow Belly Lake”?  Maybe if it had said, “Avid Hiker Lake” or “Best Shape of my Life Lake” but “Yellow Belly”?  Nope.  I figured there was another access point, one that listed the other lakes.

Plus, the trail we were on was gorgeous; long, dark, Pettit Lake on the left, peaks up ahead, the trail a slight incline—just enough to make you feel it, and I thought, “I’ll be happy if this is all I do today, a hike around the lake—it is perfect.” 

Soon we left the lake behind, crossed two rivers (in an attempt to help Opus, I submerged one boot—I have never hiked with a soaking wet foot, have to say it wasn’t that bad) and began a serious ascent through a moraine when I decided to rest and enjoy my coffee.  I sat on a giant, flat boulder, marveling not only at the beautiful meadow spread out below and the sharp peaks surrounding it, but that I felt so good.  Last fall when I had tried to hike, it never felt ok, it never felt right.  I always felt like life wanted me to stop, go back and sit down (and now we know why.)   But that morning, everything felt just right.

It hardly seemed like any time had passed so I was surprised when I checked Garmin and it revealed that we had travelled 3.7 miles! 

“Remember you still have to go back!”, sounded my Roomie’s voice in my head; she who had patiently walked (if you can call it that) with me between surgeries.  Some hikers passed me on the trail and said there was about two miles to go before Alice Lake, an alpine lake of incredible beauty, and I so wanted to keep going.  But I have promised myself not to push my recovery so we turned back, clocking 7.4 miles on our first day.

Which probably explains why, on Day Hike 2, we only clocked two.  We had started up Cabin Creek Trail but an uneasiness kept growing in me.  First of all, there was only one other car in the parking area.  As a solo hiker, I much prefer no cars or a lot of cars.  One car just worries me.  Then Opus would not walk in front but kept his nose close to the back of my boots, something he does just before I smell a bear, and we were clearly in bear territory (a lovely creek, woods with dense foliage, berries.)  And, I suppose, I was tired from the previous day.  It just didn’t feel like fun so we turned back, opting for a grocery store run, lunch in town and a quick connection with the cellular world.

Side note:  If you come up here, come with groceries; the store has little more than frozen pizza and hotdogs.

My hiking map had listed the Yellow Belly loop as one of the highlights for the area, so despite its name, I headed back there on Day Hike 3. 

This time I swallowed my pride and took the right when prompted.  There is an initial climb up away from Lake Pettit which I was happy to see as “alpine lake” to me means above the tree line.  But after a mere mile or so, it dropped steadily down the other side of the mountain and back into forest.  At this point, I was still undecided about doing an out and back hike or making it a loop.  Chatting with a mountain biker he noted that the loop option involved a fire road exit.  He had come up that way so gave me a few trail pointers to ensure that I make it off the lake trail and onto the fire road when the time came. 

He also suggested taking an offshoot trail down to McDonald Lake, which I am so glad I did!   What a lovely little lake.  We stopped for coffee and a Dentastix (Opus’s treat when we are hiking.)

As delightful as McDonald Lake was, Yellow Belly was a complete disappointment:  It is surrounded by dense forest (again, not my idea of “alpine lake”—I am used to nothing but rocks, dirt and water at alpine lakes) and, worst of all, as I approached the head of the lake what did I see?  A parking lot.

Nothing is worse than hiking for over two hours and ending up in a place at which cars are parked.  (Granted, I would not have driven Wurzig up those roads but still—a parking lot?!?)

We took a short break before continuing on the trail around the lake, along the river and then out to a road.  But what the mountain biker didn’t tell me was that, after a quarter of a mile or so, the road branched three ways.  By then I had added hot and tired to my disappointment and was in no mood to be lost.  I climbed a hill and looked across the valley and could see campers in the distance.  The far distance, but at least they were visible.  Since the trailhead parking is on the other side of the campground, I took the road that headed in that direction.

It was now nearing noon, we were hiking on a dusty road with no shade, it was over 80, Opus’s looks of disdain were on a 2-minute interval.

As we approached the camping area, I could see, much to my dismay, that it was not the campground but just one of the many disbursed camping sites prevalent in the area. 

Shit.

So I looked around again, spotted the peaks that lay opposite the lake and took the road heading in that direction.  For over a mile and a half we were completely enveloped in clouds of dirt as the campers raced by us in their four wheelers and trucks with boat trailers on the way to the lake.  I was beyond tired, hot and disappointed at this point.  I was edging toward grumpy.

Obviously, we made it back, a mere 6.4 miles which felt more like 20,000.

Enter Day Hike 4:  I had saved hiking in the Redfish Lake area for last as I wanted to avoid as many of the holiday travelers as possible and so planned on hitting the trail bright and early on the 5th.   Getting dressed, I could not find a clean pair of hiking socks.  How was this possible?  I usually keep close tabs on that, hand-washing when necessary.  But no, there were none.  So I donned a pair of cotton running socks, realized they would be too thin, so put on a second pair of cotton running socks.

Never hike in cotton running socks.

But the sock situation didn’t trouble me, I already knew it was going to be a fantastic day:  I was driving on asphalt all the way to the trailhead!  First time all week.

We were at the trailhead by 8:30 on a clear, beautiful morning.  It had rained the night before so the air was crisp and clear and the trail-dirt slightly packed which is a blessing out here where it can be dusty, particularly on the trails you share with horses. 

The Redfish Lake trail is gorgeous; it climbs steadily up from the lake and then retains the views from the bluff as you make your way to the other end.  At three miles we turned off toward Bench Lake, climbed another hillside, gaped at the beautiful little lake, and sat to enjoy our coffee and, yes, Dentastix.  We watched small trout swim by until the mosquitos, and concern about River, turned us back toward home.

A bonus picture since you have been very generous with your reading:


A quintessential mountain hike, every minute was perfect, we clocked 8.4 miles.
  Although my feet were burning from the cotton socks, it was a great way to end my series of day hikes.

After a quick run into town, we returned to Beagle, woke River, and we all went down to the lake.  I let River off leash as she rarely leaves my side; tied Opus to a tree as he rarely chooses me over hunting, and dashed into the water.  Standing quickly to get my breath back (this lake is COLD!) I heard splashing coming up behind me and there was River!  Swimming out to “save” me as she had always done, I just didn’t think she had it in her anymore.  Clearly she came to the same conclusion as she turned back before reaching me. 

Opus had his head stuck in a tree stump, rooting out a chipmunk.

And thus ends my final full day at Alturas Lake.  I will miss this place; I will certainly return.  And I made it five nights without servicing Beagle!  Including a shower every night (despite swimming every day, I find that I would rather crawl into my delightful Beagle bed smelling like French soap rather than lake trout.)

Heading back to McCall where we will enjoy spreading out in a cabin just up from the lake for five nights.  I have a sneaking suspicion that I will not want to leave.

-K

PS:  Final announcement about the email notification; it will deactivate shortly.  I will Tweet out a link after each posting @kitrinabryant


No comments:

Post a Comment

A Speck on a Dot on a Marble in the Sky

  To J. Garmin: May your adventures in retirement be as vast and magnificent as your dedication to healing; safe travels, my friend. Greetin...