Saturday, May 8, 2021

Let's Try This Again, Shall We?

 


My dear readers, I am so happy to be writing to you from Bass Lake, CA, sitting in the dappled sunshine of pitch #10, Forks Campground, having just finished my earliest in the season ever mountain lake swim.  Which makes it sound like I have been keeping track but really, I haven’t.  I just know that since I have owned Beagle, I have not swum in a mountain lake before May 7.  (Yes, it was cold but completely do-able if you swam parallel to the shore in the shallower water.  I even floated on my back for a while before the goosebumps took over.)

I have started out again for a long Beagle trip, the previous attempt last fall named the “No Expectations Tour”, lived up to its name as I never would have expected to end up in an ER and then spend the next six months in and out of brain surgery; that kind of accuracy is going to be hard to beat. 

So what shall we call this one?  I thought about the “Whenever Whatever Tour” as I don’t have a real plan other than to get out of the gloomy Morro Bay spring and into the fabulous Pacific Northwest, but Covid has made it difficult to just cruise into a campground and find an open pitch. 

It seems half the country has discovered what the other half already knew:  Camping is heaven.  And cheap.  So I left home with many more reservations than I normal hold; which actually aids me in keeping my blood pressure low; I don’t have to worry about finding a place to stop.  Life always knows best.

*

It’s fun to be out with people again.  Today, while filling up Wurzig, one of the three young men opposite me said, “That’s one hell of a car.”

              “Thank you”, I replied.

              “And that’s one hell of a trailer.”

              “Thank you again”, I said, then added, “And I am one hell of a girl.” 

Laughter abounded!  Laughter where you can see teeth!  All masks were down.  It was delightful.

              “I bet you are!”, he responded, and then more slowly with a slight hint of regret, “I bet you are.”

*

Ahh, it is six o’clock and the sun just moved between two branches to warm my face.  I smell the warm dirt and pine needles and taste the freedom.  This is my life!  Give me a second, I have to pinch myself.

I have not been cleared for full activity yet so my days will be speckled with walks and swimming which suits River just fine; she loves nothing more than a short walk and a long nap whereas Opus and I prefer long walks and short naps.  It will be a couple of months full of changing expectations and making adjustments to be sure.

*

Once the sun went down the temperature dropped quickly and I happily snuggled under my down comforter, thinking as I have often thought when going to sleep in an Airstream, I could be anywhere in the world, I have all I need, I couldn’t be happier.

I woke around 4 AM to the near freezing temperature, covered my head with the comforter, making a small tunnel for the cold air to reach my nose, and thought of a good trip title:  The Simply Let It Be Tour.  Part of it actually came to me last week in Maui, floating on my back over the gentle swells, I thought, “Maybe this is all I was saved for; this relishing the experience of living life on Earth.  Just let this be enough."

So I will endeavor to let it be.  Sam Harris might win after all; two and a half years ago I set out in Beagle determined to study the difference between free will and fate.  Let It Be seems to fall more on the fate side.

-K

PS:  After a lovely morning hike up Goat Mountain (yes, brother, a short lovely hike), a leisurely breakfast of left-over potatoes from Luciano’s fried up with an egg, we are headed to a new spot.  (Some things are the same, I do have an order of Luciano’s Duck a l’Orange in the fridge.   How I wish I had some lemon tart. :-))


No comments:

Post a Comment

A Speck on a Dot on a Marble in the Sky

  To J. Garmin: May your adventures in retirement be as vast and magnificent as your dedication to healing; safe travels, my friend. Greetin...