Monday, October 15, 2018

Devil May Care






At the beginning of summer, I would have bet money that I would not be taking this trip alone.  But then again, two years ago I would never have thought I would be living on the road again, particularly as a single woman.  It is fitting that my first night was where I first conceived the idea, Lopez Island.

Last winter, lying awake at midnight in my cute log cabin, I wrote out my dream plan:  Sell the cabin, buy an Airstream and hit the road.  Ten months later, it is all done and here I sit at Humbug Mountain Campground along the stunning Oregon Coast. 

To set the stage:  There is no TV on the Beagle and most of the time I have so little cell service I cannot stream anything (WIFI in campgrounds is unheard of, WIFI at RV Parks is sketchy.)  So I packed the Beagle with heady books from intelligent people whom I admire; John-Paul Sartre, Ursula K. Le Guin, Sam Harris, Hermann Hesse, and, when I need a laugh, David Sedaris.   I didn’t name my Basecamp the HMS Beagle by accident; I am off to discover what life is about, at least for me, and I am not above gaining a head start from people I admire. 

However I do need to figure out a way to read before cocktail hour as gin and philosophy make for interesting interpretations.  I have the following Sartre quote hanging in the Beagle:  “Freedom is what you do with what has been done to you.”  I see it every day when I wake up and it inspires me to do – whatever that might be, just don’t waste this precious human life.  But after a gin?  All I do is have more Cheese-Itz.

Locking up my Seattle apartment and driving away felt like a dream; I couldn't even listen to music in the car for the first hour.  I just drove and took it all in.  It reminded me of when I first jumped off a high dive into a pool; I knew I had the skills to survive what was coming but it was slightly terrifying none the less.   Ahh, the freedom of flying through the air!  Now I am flying across the earth with very little holding me down.  The enormity of this much freedom is intoxicating.  We’ll see if it is addictive as well.

Back to today:  I wasn’t planning on stopping so soon but on the drive the sun (finally!) came out and one hand and two noses flew in the air when I asked, “Who wants to take a hike?”   We took the next hiking trail turnoff and hiked up Humbug Mountain for four miles.  After two days in the rain it was delightful to feel moisture coming out of my pores rather than trying to come in.  Never under estimate the power of sweating.

Back in the parking area, I checked the weather and it looked promising so I decided to stay the night in the campground across the highway.  I am practicing my first goal; to enjoy the space between and embrace grey areas—those of you who know me, know this might be my biggest challenge yet (but you also know I love a challenge.)

Despite being so sure that I would not be alone for this trip, I am enjoying it immensely.  The Beagle does not have a lot of room; it is difficult to imagine another human in here.  But I could imagine another human this evening:  While walking to the beach I noticed a fish swimming in the creek alongside the path.  If I had a man with me (yes, sorry to be sexist here, but some things I really just want a man for and fishing is one of them), I would ask him to bait my hook, shortly thereafter remove the fish I had caught, and shake me a martini while he cooked it for dinner.  Been there, done that, and am looking forward to doing it again.  Of the many things in life that are worth repeating, a close human connection might be the most valuable.

I was reminded of this recently on a hike back in Seattle.  I had spent the better part of eighteen months doing things alone and forgot how joyful it is to share an experience with another human being.  On that hike, I paused three times and relaxed into the quiet comradery of a shared experience.  All three times I felt like we weren’t individual people anymore, that we had been absorbed into our environment.  I have no idea if he felt the same way, it was enough for me to recognize it within myself.  I will treasure those three moments and am thankful for my meditation training; it has given me the ability to stop, sit and appreciate.

But back to my trip:  My basic agenda is to follow the sunshine, play tennis, golf and hike as much as possible while visiting friends and family.  Three days in now and I haven’t made it out of Oregon so it might be a very long trip.  As I mentioned, my first night was on Lopez Island, stealing time with two of my favorite people; the second night I was in Cannon Beach; third in Honeyman Campground, and the fourth here at Humbug Mountain, perhaps for two nights.  It is a campground situated with a dog friendly beach on one side and a lovely hike up a mountain on the other.  My idea of a perfect spot (and Opus gives it four paws.)

Last night I listened to a two hour interview between Sam Harris, Bill Maher and the director of Ridigulous, celebrating the movie's ten year anniversary.  I cannot believe it has been that long.  I cannot believe how little has changed.  If anything, people seem even more intolerant of each other, less adaptable.  I hope to project more tolerance and [Kit* knows I will need] adaptability on this trip.

Opus and River are with me, of course.  Those of you who know them know what a devil Opus can be but so far he has been a joy.  Racing around the Oregon beaches and coming back when called, although I fear the day I don’t have chicken treats handy.  River is River, always ready for a hug and a nap.

I will certainly miss the people I left behind as much as I am looking forward to seeing the people ahead.  I decided to blog about the trip primarily because while blogging the Aventura I found that I paid greater attention to my surroundings and more often appreciated what seemed, at the time, to be insignificant things.  Specific to that, I will note that here in Oregon, the trees grow as high as in Washington but they don’t flop over at the top. 

I imagine I will welcome that sign when I return.

-K

PS:  I did stay a second night at Humbug so that the dogs and I could have an entire day outside.  We hiked over ten miles and raced free on the beach before heading further south.  

PPS:  For more pictures, you can find me on Instagram @kitrinabryant, or click on the link in the HMS Beagle Photo Album blog post.

*Being an atheist I find it very helpful to insert my name for “god” or "jesus", particularly when enjoying gospel music--give it a try, you might be amazed at how it raises your self esteem.  (Not that I need any help...)

1 comment:

A Speck on a Dot on a Marble in the Sky

  To J. Garmin: May your adventures in retirement be as vast and magnificent as your dedication to healing; safe travels, my friend. Greetin...